Friday, April 24, 2009
My first painting with water-based oils
This week I started this picture of a blue poppy and trollius using water based oils, which I have never tried before. First I brushed a thin coat of water-mixable linseed oil over the entire canvas. Then I quickly blocked in the background and general flower areas using titanium white, cadmium yellow light, magenta and lots of pthalo blue (red shade). This sets the stage for the brighter foreground to pop out from the background. While the rest of the country is enjoying springtime, in Alaska we are in the middle of "breakup" - that time of year when a whole winter's worth of snow melts into mud. Painting these flowers from a picture I took of my perennial garden last summer helps me get through this yucky, muddy time of in-between winter and summer.
at 12:28 PM