The colorful paintings and whimsical musings of artist Kristy Tracy
Sunday, July 14, 2013
The water tower in Palmer, Alaska, was built in 1935. It not only supplied water to the small Matanuska Colony, but also served as an identifying landmark for the town. Passengers entering the community by train knew they had arrived at their destination when the tower, standing next to the depot, came into view. Pilots flying over the Talkeetna Mountains could tell exactly where they were by the name emblazoned on its side. Although it no longer supplies water for the residents who live there, the Palmer Water Tower is a precious piece of history preserved for posterity by the local historical society.